    Newsgroups: pl.comp.programming
    Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 12:39:13 -0800 (PST)
    Subject: Re: back to assembly
    From: fir <p...@g...com>

    W dniu niedziela, 29 grudnia 2019 03:06:34 UTC+1 użytkownik fir napisał:
    > i got so terrible problems last half of year i was like unable to concentrate on
    coding, still not feeling well to be honest but i think maybe i can back for a while

    > the idea is to maybe upbuild (build it up) my assembler (so called organic
    assembler) so maybe i will show that project and maybe some more specific
    questions/topics will appear

    > vurrent version to download:
    >
    > http://minddetonator.htw.pl/org-asm.zip
    >
    > (for windows32, i mean it runs as win32 console tool and assembles win32
    executables)

    > i added some example pice of asm code in it
    > as sorta example how to use it
    >

    > main:
    >
    > call test_1M_loop
    > call test_1M_loop
    > call test_1M_loop
    > call test_1M_loop
    > call test_1M_loop
    > call test_1M_loop
    > call test_1M_loop
    > call test_1M_loop
    > call test_1M_loop
    > call test_1M_loop
    > call test_1M_loop
    > call test_1M_loop
    > call test_1M_loop
    > call test_1M_loop
    >

    > ret
    >
    > ////////////////////////
    >

    > test_1M_loop:
    > nop
    > nop
    > mov esi 1000000
    > rdtsc
    > push edx
    > push eax
    > loop:
    > //==================
    >
    > nop
    > nop
    > nop
    > // mov ebx esi
    > // add ebx 19
    > // mov edx 1000
    > // mov eax 1000
    > // div edax ebx
    >
    > //=================
    > dec esi
    > jne loop
    > rdtsc
    > pop ebx
    > pop ecx
    > sub eax ebx
    > sbb edx ecx
    > call print_eax
    > ret
    >
    > ////////////////////////////
    >

    > inner_test:
    >
    > ret
    >
    > //////////////////////////////
    >
    > @ note_eax: "\x0d\x0a rdtsc eax = %d \x00"
    >
    > print_eax:
    > push eax
    > push note_eax
    > call msvcrt.printf
    > pop eax
    > pop eax
    > ret
    >

    > this pice of asm makes loop of 1M rolls and
    > measures how many cycles it takes by rtdsc command
    >
    > this itself may be interesting for someone who would like to toy a bit and measure
    what amount of cycles given assembly comands and routines take on your cpu

    > for example gien loop with 3 nops gives that result (here on my old cpu)
    >

    > rdtsc eax = 2000103
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 2000117
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 2000082
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 2000082
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 2000082
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 2000082
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 2000082
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 2000082
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 2000082
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 2000082
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 2000082
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 2042404
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 2415266
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 2266271
    >
    > if i delete that 3 nops it gives
    >

    > rdtsc eax = 1000125
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 1000111
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 1000083
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 1000076
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 1000076
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 1000083
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 1000083
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 1000076
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 1000076
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 1000076
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 1000076
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 1000076
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 1000076
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 1000076
    >
    > so it shows that 1 nop takes only like 0.33 cycle, and that dec esi and jne jump
    itself take only one cycle

    > if someone is interested how fast things execute that kind of tests may be usefull
    > (it could be done in more popular assemblers but the entry level of my own may be
    easier, for me its easier for sure)

    > things can be tested easily, for example if i want to test rand() i just put a line

    > call msvcrt.rand
    >
    > instead of that 3 nops and i get the result
    >

    > rdtsc eax = 28016989
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 28000112
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 28043897
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 28001589
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 28001498
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 28105077
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 28000161
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 28001904
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 28016415
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 28024360
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 28000084
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 28012999
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 28026061
    >
    > rdtsc eax = 28002849
    >
    > so its 27 cycles..and so on
    >

    > if someone would like to toy with my assembler i could improve it (i not typed all
    possiblemnemonic register combinations yet as it seems to be posiibly thousands of
    them)

    > i need yet also make some improve,ments in syntax of that asm... im quite satisfied
    as to cyntax of code (which i a bit refreshed if compared to intel by rejecting
    periods and turning square brackets into round brackets but i quess i still need to
    work on data format and also repair some holes here

    http://minddetonator.htw.pl/org-asm-4.zip

    i added some extremally lame asm code for drawing mandelbrot (temporarely becouse of
    laziness)

    it may illustrate how you do float assembler today (you simply add ss to mnemonics
    and have 8 registers)

    though honestly it is visible i need to rework some things in that assembly, like
    turning xmm1 into x1 to be shorter etc

    but im tired and will do it later

    //
    // unsigned background_color = 0x0;
    //
    // void RunFrame(int advance)
    // {
    // ClearFrameData(background_color);
    // }
    //
    //
    // void ProcessMouseMove(int x, int y){}
    // void ProcessKeyDown(int key){}
    // void OnResize(){}
    //
    //
    // int main(void)
    // {
    //
    // RegisterMouseMove( ProcessMouseMove );
    // RegisterKeyDown( ProcessKeyDown );
    // RegisterOnResize( OnResize );
    // RegisterRunFrame( RunFrame );
    // SetSleepValue(10);
    //
    // SetupWindow2(" Example Green Fire App ", 20, 20, 560, 400 );
    //
    // return 0;
    // }

    jmp start

    ProcessMouseMove: ret
    ProcessKeyDown: ret
    OnResize: ret

    //////////////////////////////////////

    calc_mandelbtot_for_esi_edi:

    >> minus2: -2.0f four: 4.0 dx: 0.01 dy: 0.01
    >> c_re: 0.0 c_im: 0.0 res: 0

    push eax

    cvt si2ss xmm0 esi

    mov ss xmm1 (dx)
    mul ss xmm0 xmm1
    add ss xmm0 (minus2)
    mov ss (c_re) xmm0

    cvt si2ss xmm0 edi

    mov ss xmm1 (dy)
    mul ss xmm0 xmm1
    add ss xmm0 (minus2)
    mov ss (c_im) xmm0

    //////////////////////
    mov ecx 0

    mov ss xmm3 (c_re)
    mov ss xmm4 (c_im)

    mov ss xmm0 xmm3
    mov ss xmm1 xmm4

    mov ss xmm2 (four)

    iterations:
    //re
    mov ss xmm5 xmm0
    //im
    mov ss xmm6 xmm1

    //re * re
    mul ss xmm0 xmm0
    //im * im
    mul ss xmm1 xmm1
    // re*re + im*im
    add ss xmm0 xmm1

    mov ss xmm1 xmm0

    cmple ss xmm1 xmm2

    cvt ss2si eax xmm1

    cmp eax 0
    je out

    mov ss xmm0 xmm5
    mov ss xmm1 xmm6
    //re * re
    mul ss xmm0 xmm0
    //im * im
    mul ss xmm1 xmm1
    sub ss xmm0 xmm1
    add ss xmm0 xmm3
    // re_n = re * re - im * im + cRe;
    mov ss xmm7 xmm0

    mov ss xmm0 xmm5
    mul ss xmm0 xmm6
    add ss xmm0 xmm0
    add ss xmm0 xmm4

    mov ss xmm1 xmm0
    mov ss xmm0 xmm7

    //
    inc ecx
    cmp ecx 100
    jl iterations

    mov ecx 0xff00ff
    pop eax
    ret
    out:

    mov ecx 0xffff00
    pop eax
    ret

    // double re = cRe;
    // double im = cIm;
    //
    // for(int n=1; n<man_maxiter; n++)
    // {
    // points_list[n].re = re;
    // points_list[n].im = im;
    //
    // if( re * re + im * im > 4.0 ) return n;
    //
    // double re_n = re * re - im * im + cRe;
    // double im_n = 2 * re * im + cIm;
    //
    // re = re_n;
    // im = im_n;
    //
    // }

    RunFrame:

    push 0x007000, call green_fire.ClearFrameData, pop eax ;

    /////////////////// loop on pixels
    mov eax green_fire.frame_bitmap
    mov ebp (eax)
    mov eax green_fire.frame_size_x
    mov ebx (eax)

    mov edi 0
    loop_y:
    mov esi 0
    loop_x:
    mov eax edi, mul eax ebx, add eax esi, shl eax 2, add eax ebp
    call calc_mandelbtot_for_esi_edi
    mov (eax) ecx
    inc esi , cmp esi 400, jl loop_x
    inc edi , cmp edi 400, jl loop_y
    //////////

    ret

    start:

    push ProcessMouseMove, call green_fire.RegisterMouseMove, pop eax
    push ProcessKeyDown, call green_fire.RegisterKeyDown, pop eax
    push OnResize, call green_fire.RegisterOnResize, pop eax
    push RunFrame, call green_fire.RegisterRunFrame, pop eax
    push 10, call green_fire.SetSleepValue, pop eax

    >> title: "exampla app"

    push 420, push 500,
    push 20, push 20,
    push title, call green_fire.SetupWindow2
    add esp 20

    mov eax 0
    ret